Thursday, February 9, 2012

Schnellmobile

When I saw this picture on craiglist, I couldn't imagine a better carhouse.
A short school bus with the seats taken out that runs on vegetable oil! Price: $4,000
I learned several things living in the motorhome, before it got rear-ended. I learned that I don't want my housecar to have a bathroom. I never use it and it takes up too much space. Same with the kitchen. I used the bathroom and ate in the church I worked at.

I needed a pure open space to work with, to make it fully my own. I also wanted something a bit smaller than the motorhome, something easier to maneuver in a city.

Insurance gave me $5,700 for the Escaper, and I had only bought it for $4,500! But the Ford Taurus station wagon I bought when I got to Maine also died, so insurance essentially ended up paying for both vehicles.

I also had been looking for a short bus because it seemed so crazy. Lots of people have motorhomes. The Escaper started to feel too cliche. A short bus struck me as outrageous, so I became obsessed with searching for them on craigslist. Thats how this beauty came into my life.

Watch a video about it here.

The vegetable oil system was all onboard. It had an amazing sound system. Unfortunately, it had a lot of trouble. The vegetable oil system never worked perfectly.

Out of the approximate 12 months I lived in this bus, it was broken down for about 9. It broke down and left us stranded 4 times when I drove it across the country to Yosemite last May and June, costing $1,300.

It also became apparent on the trip that the transmission was dying, because it started shifting hard.

The beginning of the end came when Kandice Medina crashed it in a parking garage in San Francisco.
I sold it on ebay for $575.

Below is some more pictures.



1 comment:

  1. Sweet new blog, Ben. For some reason either I didn't know or I failed to realize that you'd taken the bus out to Yosemite! It fits right in with those tents. I'll be honest and say I think it's too bad that bus didn't work out so well. I like your cabin a lot though. Maybe someday I'll see it in real life.

    ReplyDelete